Twitter

Follow cfoodjunky on Twitter

Friday, December 4, 2009

This is NOT a paid commercial(although it would be nice)

So I have made a seachange in grocery store mentality. Like so many of us I am trying to figure out how to stretch my food budget as far as possible this holiday season. And as luck would have it, I have found a remarkable gem in retail stores that was literally hiding behind a wall of social ignorance. It is likely that I am pressing that analogy to far, but I will explain myself and see if you agree.

Compare Foods. Again this is not a paid endorsement. I have no contact with any members of management of this outfit and have recieved no encouragement or financial remuneration for this article.

In fact I am not entirely sure how to pronounce the name of the store. Is it Compare in the strictly Anglo sense or is it Com-Pah-Ray Foods? Anyone who can demystify this for me would be a friend.

Regardless, this store competes in my market alongside Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Bi-Lo, Bloom, Save-U, Fresh Market, Earth Fare, Aldi and many many others. In the case of Compare Foods, it has been labelled a "Latino" grocery store. In fact, it tends to be located in areas of the city that are home to a brown and black demographic. The company has not gone to great lengths to beautify their properties or market their brand. They feel like large old school groceries. But in my case, an impulse decision to stop in to "compare" this store with the others, led to the wonderful realization that I had found the gem amongst the swine of retailers (no offense intended to other fine establishments).

What struck me first, and what generally qualifies a retailer for me, is the produce section. You can tell at a quick glance, the level of selection of produce will generally equate into every other section of the store. In the case of Compare Foods, nothing can compare to them. Not only do they have the usual items, i.e. peppers onions, fruit, lettuce etc., but they have an EXTENSIVE selection of whole food ingredients from cactus, to fresh aloe, to root veggies galore, to herbs and spices, to whole fresh in shell garbanzos. You see my point?

This correlates to each department of the store. I will explain:

Meats: Although they do not have as large a selection of the super premium meat cuts, they do have a larger selection of individual cuts from the whole animal for each segment. They do have items such as whole dressed quail and a good selection of whole fish. Cuts are freshly butchered in store(everyone else seems to have moved away from this model (BOOOOO!!)) and are more fresh than many of their competitors.

Spices and Herbs: In two seperate visits I bought in pod Tamarind, dried Chamomile flowers, Cumin, and fresh large ginger root. These items were a very small part of the whole. There were countless herbs and spices in various forms that I had never heard of...

Dry Goods: Extensive and exhaustive selection. 10 types of dried chilis, various legumes, and grains available in bulk.

Cheeses: I never realized there were so many Mexican Cheeses.

Fresh Tortillas: Nothing is as nice as fresh tortillas for any meal.

Cervesa!!!! ahora soy pocquito boracho!!

And on and on and on it goes.

Unfortunately for alot of people I know, they would not go in to Compare foods. They would be too intimidated by the Spanish Language labelling(Bi-Lingual actually) or the greetings in "OTE" (other than english) or the inquisitive latino employees and customers. I admit it was a bit intimidating to be the only "gringo" in sight at first. But after my 4th visit, people recognized me and greeted me accordingly, with warm smiles and a few kind words. I have received willing help and had any questions answered in a timely fashion. This last one is a pet peeve of mine. Has anyone else noticed the lack of employees in most retailers these days?

And the best part of Compare Foods is the last part of the experience. Cashing out. I have grown used to paying ridiculously inflated prices. I have grown used to watching a grocery receipt for one meal for my family run upwards of 50-60 dollars. This is a criminal extortive situation on par with the worst of Wall Street. And so I will not take it anymore. Although I have to drive a few more miles to get there, I know that I will have a more wonderful experience exploring food at a fraction of the cost at Compare Foods than I will at any other neighborhood retailer.

I encourage you to compare for yourself.

Adios y La Buena Vida!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is the Compare Foods?

Eric Ackerson said...

Wish I had thought to include the website link!!!!! DUH!

Thanks for reminding me anonymous...

http://www.comparesupermarkets.com/

East coast only but lots in NY and NC!!

Hope you enjoy the shopping!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the site, but I meant the one you experienced location. I'm from NY and I've been to some great Compare Foods, and some not so great ones.

Eric Ackerson said...

Hi Anonymous. The location I go to is in Charlotte NC on Arrowood Road. Again it is not a beautiful store but makes up for it in other ways. Good Shopping and feel free to follow me on twitter at cfoodjunky.