Twitter

Follow cfoodjunky on Twitter

Thursday, December 24, 2009

My Entry to Beet and Squash You: Granny Smith's Minted Napa Coleslaw - Braised Pork Belly with Apple Juice/Shiraz Sauce - Panfried Grit Cakes



Hello Foodies! Ok, So I lied about taking a week off from posting for the holidays, but noone is perfect and I remembered a commitment I made. This is my last posting before I really do take a vacation.

I am entering the following recipes in a funtastic culinary competition hosted by my twitter friends @bouchonfor2 and @sheshimmers. You should add them on twitter and check out this link: http://www.bouchonfor2.com/beet-n-squash-you/ for their fun and friendly monthly contest in honor of delicious veggie recipes.

I am a bonafide lover of veggies and one of my personal favorites is this months feature vegetable, the Napa Cabbage. This link will give you more info about the delicious ingredient http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napa_cabbage. Therefore when I saw the announcement of the choice of Napa Cabbage for January, I was thrilled to take part.

First, a bit about my recipe choice. I live in the Southern USA and although I grew up in New York, my momma is a true Southerner (family from Memphis and Texas) and I grew up eating a family coleslaw recipe that went well with just about anything. In particular, I like coleslaw with heavy and rich protein dishes like slow cooked pork or a juicy Ribeye steak in order to break up the fats on the palate.

I have eaten a thousand coleslaw recipes in my day,(It is akin to cornbread in the south in that every cook here has their own recipe) but I like the base of the one that my mom used to make the best. My only critique on her recipe is that is very plain Jane and can get a little boring. So I have devised a rendition of her recipe that I think highlights its simplicity while adding a few key elements that make it everything it should be.

And so I am submitting three component dishes with recipe links below.  To focus on the guest of honor I am listing the Napa Cabbage based Granny Smith Minted Coleslaw first, followed by the protein, a braised pork belly in Apple Juice and Shiraz with a reduction of the liquids, and finished by a pan fried grit cake. 

I have posted the recipes on my favorite recipe site www.kitchenmonki.com and also at Foodbuzz.com so here are the links......
http://www.kitchenmonki.com/recipe/Green_Apple_Minted_Napa_Coleslaw
http://www.myhungrytum.blogspot.com/2009/12/apple-juice-and-shiraz-braised-pork.html
http://www.kitchenmonki.com/recipe/Panfried_Grit_Cakes
Start by preparing the Braised Pork Belly and while it is cooking make first the coleslaw and then aim to finish the grit cakes as the Pork Belly sauce is completed so that you can plate together when they are hot!

Here is the contest entry Granny Smith Minted Napa Coleslaw recipe so that you don't have to surf to it....
Granny Smith Minted Napa Coleslaw
Step 1 Ingredients:
1⁄2 cup Sour Cream
1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1⁄2 teaspoon Turbinado Sugar, (Raw Cane Sugar)
1⁄2 teaspoon Paprika
1⁄8 teaspoon Garlic Powder
3 tablespoons Fresh Mint, Chopped fine.
2 tablespoons Buttermilk
2 tablespoons Mayo, I use the Olive Oil mayo from Kraft.
1 tablespoon Poppy Seeds

Step 1: Place all the ingredients in a large glass mixing bowl. Use a fork or a small wire whisk to whip all ingredients together till smooth and consistent. Taste and add salt if desired.

Step 2 Ingredients:
1 medium Carrot, Sliced thin into "coins".
10 leaves Napa Cabbage, Sliced thin across the stem.
1⁄2 Granny Smith Apple, washed, cored and chopped with the skin on
2 pinches Kosher Salt or Sea Salt, Season to taste

Step 2: Add vegetables to dressing and toss with a fork till all are coated with dressing. Season with salt to taste.

Step 3: Chill in Refrigerator for about 30 minutes to firm it up a bit.

Step 4: Serve cold with rich savory and heavy dishes to break up the meal and cleanse the palate.

Enjoy and see you well fed in the New Year!







Happy Holidays from MyHungryTum!!!!

No comments: