Twitter

Follow cfoodjunky on Twitter

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Self Pollinating or Buy 2?

So after several years of choking a half hearted existence in my backyard, the small apple tree that was there when we bought the place finally bit the sawdust. After a back breaking couple of hours spent digging out the skeletal remains, i was left with a large hole about 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet deep. My first idea was to add a small pond with waterfall to the space, and the plastic liner fit the spot perfectly. Unfortunately, the neighbor kid ran over the cord for the waterfall and our tranquil pond became a mosquito love-in overnight. Time for idea #2.

The pond disappeared as quickly as it was installed and this left us again with the quandary of what to fill in the chasm with. This was an idea requiring thought and 2 months of indecision flew by much like the lingering mosquitoes with a dull and annoying buzzing sensation reminding me that "oh yeah, I really need to do something about that hole..."

And so like many great ideas, it was a revisiting of the past that became the solution to my little "Big Dig". We decided to plant a fruit tree. In our case a Peach Tree, since this part of the South is famous for growing peaches, we thought why not take advantage of the natural perks offered by this climate and cash in on the bounty of the Peach harvest.

And so I found myself at the nursery sifting throught the options while my daughters played "magic enchanted forest" in the rows of spruce and loblolly pines nearby. I had to decide which variety to buy. I asked the woman behind the counter to give me some advice and she handed me a well loved hand laminated(read plastic wrapped) cardboard sign with my fruit tree choices and some background on each tree. There were pears, cherries, apples, peaches and nectarines. Beside each was a column indicating "self pollinating" or simply "BUY 2". That got me to thinking about the naturalist that figured all of that out and how they had so much time on their hands? Clearly they weren't carting two forest dwelling fairies around with them to tree shop.

Fortunately, I quickly realized why peaches were probably so successful here in the south. Much like stalwart and self reflective Southern Generals, the Peach trees are apparently loners and fall squarely and entirely in the "self pollinating" column of my cardboard guide to fruit purchasing success. This suited my "why do two if you can do one" personality. My joy at this discovery was similar to a peach itself. Large, round, plump, juicy, and sweet.

After making my purchases, I wrestled the 3 yr old tree into my mini van where the pixies were thrilled to have their natural environment transported above and around them en route. I suppose joy is easier to achieve if you are a 4 or 7 yr old pixie.

After a day of contemplating, the tree was planted, and now it remains simply to wait, during which time I will imagine biting into the fruits(literally) of my efforts. This will keep me warm all through the cold months of winter and hopefully will not raise my expectations beyond what is reasonable. However, in my meager attempts at gardening in the past, I have always found that the vegetable you grow yourself is the sweetest.

In closing, I want to take you the reader on a very short mental journey. Please close your eyes, yep just like that, now clear your mind with a deep breathe. Now imagine a hot July morning. The bees are buzzing. The birds are unperched and flitting around your head chasing their lunch. The sound of Cicadas envelopes everything like an orchestra. You are standing under the branches of your beautiful peach tree. You reach up and gently pluck the largest roundest most perfectly ripe peach from the laden branches. And you bite into it and sense the burst of flesh and feel the syrup roll down your chin. You can't help smiling as the tart and sweet flavors explode on your tongue. There may be no more perfect moment than that.... And now I have a whole tree full of them.

No comments: